|Image credit: http://www.bolbareilly.com/sumitbhatia/bareilly-using-unsecured-wi-fi-internet-connection/|
Kristy Philippi, Ph.D. is an education consultant specializing in educational technology. She was the founding principal of Louisiana’s first public school where every student was issued and used a laptop in a business-like environment. Dr. Philippi has been recognized by a number of organizations for her innovation and leadership around using technology to engage students. She is a member of the Wasatch Branch of the American Association of University Women and serves on the advisory board of the Internet Keep Safe Coalition.
We have come to expect to have wireless internet access just about everywhere we go. At home, we can use our laptops to access the internet from any room in the house or we can go to coffee shops or fast food restaurants and surf the net. But have you ever stopped to think about the information on your computer or the information you are sending over the unsecured network or “hotspot?” Using an unsecured wireless connection is risky. Often, nothing sinister happens. However, the dangers are real and your important information is put at risk if you connect over an unsecured network. Anything sent in an email or saved on your computer could be at risk. We have all seen examples of children’s social media or email accounts being compromised and inappropriate material is posted in their name. An unsecured wireless account puts your child’s passwords and personal information out for anyone to see. The next several paragraphs describe the types of networks that are unsecured and the risks associated with using those unsecured wireless networks.
How do you know if the network is unsecured?
- A neighbor or even someone parked outside in a car can use your connection undetected and for free. The result can be as simple as slowing down your surfing because the “intruder” is using up your bandwidth. (This can cost money if your provider charges by the bandwidth you use.) But, if the intruder is illegally downloading music, movies or child pornography, the result could be more serious. A criminal who does not want to be caught can use your unsecured internet connection to commit crimes because when it is traced back to the source, your connection will be reported as the scene of the crime. While you might not be guilty, you will be the prime suspect and will have to defend yourself. In fact, many internet service providers include a clause in your contract that holds you responsible for any illegal activities that occur on your connection.
- Also, once an intruder has access to your home network, they have access to everything you have stored on any computers on that network and anything you do online. And if you think you do not have anything worth stealing, think again. An intruder, once inside can access your tax documents, financial records, online banking information, credit card numbers, emails, usernames and passwords, and even where you are going online. More sophisticated intruders can install software that records your every keystroke and every site you visit.
- Click the Router
- Click on Settings
- Change the Default SSID (a unique identifier used to name wireless networks)
- Disable the SSID Broadcast (hides the network so it isn’t visible for all in range to see)
- Change the default password
If you need more help, check the router manual for directions.
NASAD is the major
Isabel Marant Sale How to Write a Killer Fashion Resume
chanel espadrillesThe History of Decorative Furnitures
Louboutin Pas Cher In 1856 a
The Top 5 Watch Trends for 2010
louis vuitton neverful Leopard print clutch
Custom Trucker Hats For The Trendy
louis vuitton purses Technical designers who complete a degree in a related field
Mila Kunis Called Worst Dressed by
valentino sandals When one finds their true passion in life work becomes effortless
Be Safe with the Help of DUI lawyer San Diego
spaccio woolrich bologna Tobey Maguire and Elijah Wood and Topher Grace
1980s Music Fashion and Movies
north face jacke Try to avoid submerging your jewelry completely
5 Names For Reloading After Or During The Pullback
burberry scarf and it needs to go safely back to Paris
Apparel Maker Performance Indicates Diverging Consumer Demand
roger vivier shoes 11 dreary manner limits